Prof Damien McElvenny
Damien is a biostatistician and epidemiologist working in the Data Science and Epidemiology Section of Research Division and is a chartered statistician. He has over 30 years' experience working in a variety roles relating to the statistical analysis of health data in the public and private sector. Damien joined IOM in 2011 and has successfully led many research projects including those related to cancer in the lead, rubber and hard-metal industries as well as projects on shift work and cancer and trauma and cancer. He has led a number of consultancy projects, including medico-legal reports on clinical and occupational epidemiology. Damien is IOM's lead for the BRAIN and HEADING studies that are examining the effect of concussion and heading football on elite and professional sportsmen. He is the Science Communication Officer for the OMEGA-NET project. He is an Honorary Member of the Society of Occupational Medicine.
- Office: +44 (0) 131 449 8085
- Mobile: +44 (0) 7738 758 753
- BSc (Hons)
COMMITTEE AND SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS:
- Royal Statistical Society
- International Commission on Occupational Health, Secretary of Epidemiology Scientific Committee (EPICOH)
- Secretary UK/Ireland Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Society
- Associate Editor, Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Assistant Editor, Occupational Medicine
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND CONSULTANCY ACTIVITIES:
- Meta-analyses and systematic reviews
- Occupational epidemiology (respiratory disease, cancer, neurological disorders, mental health, musculoskeletal disorders)
- Disease cluster investigations
- Medico-legal reports (statistical and epidemiological)
- Risk assessment
- Health impact assessment
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
- Seghezzo G, Van Hoecke Y, James L, Davoren D, Williamson E, Pearce N, et al. Feasibility study of assessing the Preclinical Alzheimer Cognitive Composite (PACC) score via videoconferencing. J Neurol. 2021:1-10.
- McElvenny D, Davis A, Dixon K, Alexander C, Gupta G, Nixon I, et al. Systematic review of the epidemiology of single physical trauma and cancer. Trauma. 2021:Epub ahead of print.
- Onwudike M, Abbas K, Thompson P, McElvenny DM. Role of Compression After Radiofrequency Ablation of Varicose Veins: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2020.
- Mueller W, Cowie H, Horwell CJ, Baxter PJ, McElvenny D, Booth M, et al. Standardized epidemiological protocols for populations affected by volcanic eruptions. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2020;98(5):362-4.
- IARC Monographs Vol 127 Group. Carcinogenicity of some aromatic amines and related compounds. The Lancet Oncology. 2020.
- Hidajat M, McElvenny DM, Ritchie P, Darnton A, Mueller W, Agius RM, et al. Lifetime cumulative exposure to rubber dust, fumes and N-nitrosamines and non-cancer mortality: a 49-year follow-up of UK rubber factory workers. Occup Environ Med. 2020.
- Gallo V, Motley K, Kemp S, Mian S, Patel T, James L, et al. Concussion and long-term cognitive impairment among professional or elite sport-persons: A systematic review. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 2020; Epub 2020.
- Stewart W, Allinson K, Al-Sarraj S, Bachmeier C, Barlow K, Belli A, et al. Primum non nocere: a call for balance when reporting on CTE. Lancet Neurol. 2019;18(3):231-3.
- Steenland K, Barry V, Anttila A, Sallmen M, Mueller W, Ritchie P, et al. Cancer incidence among workers with blood lead measurements in two countries. Occup Environ Med. 2019;76(9):603-10.
- Md Yusof MY, Vital EM, McElvenny DM, Hensor EMA, Das S, Dass S, et al. Predicting Severe Infection and Effects of Hypogammaglobulinemia During Therapy With Rituximab in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019;71(11):1812-23.