Occupational Hygiene Expert Witness Services
We employ a number of highly qualified and experienced occupational hygienists and safety professionals who have typically operated within consultancy or industry (prior to joining IOM) for in excess of twenty-five years and are able to provide the courts with independent and authoritative evidence over a uniquely wide range of areas.
Our experts have been involved with cases of:
- Occupational asthma,
- Bladder, sinusoidal and other occupational cancers,
- Dermatitis (irritant and allergic), leucoderma and other skin diseases
- Silicosis and other fibrotic diseases
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Agents implicated in occupational diseases have included
- Asthmagens such as flour dust, cereal/ graindust, isocyanates, wood dusts, rosin acid fume
- Paper dust,
- Pottery & silica dust,
- Epoxy resins,
- Mineral oils,
- Latex rubber,
- Phenol/ formaldehyde resins,
- Welding fume
- Paint vapours,
- Organic solvents,
- Vinyl chloride,
- Tobacco smoke,
- Water based metalworking fluids,
- Biological agents (pathogenic fungi and bacteria, non-viable biological artefacts i.e. endotoxin).
We are also involved in indoor air quality issues with particular reference to passive smoking and occupational asthma in the leisure industry.
IOM’s occupational hygiene expert witness team are uniquely supported by the capabilities of our laboratory facilities in Edinburgh and we are able to undertake on-site sampling as part of the site inspection, if evidence regarding exposures is lacking, to assist the Court in understanding the risk of exposure and the potential outcomes.