Dr Karen Galea
Head of Workplace Exposure Science
Karen is Head of Workplace Exposure Science in our Research Division. She is actively involved in a wide variety of research projects, mainly focused on exposure assessment relating to health risks. Her work has included the characterisation of aerosols during offshore drilling operations and primary nickel production; a guide to safe handling and disposal of engineered nanoparticles; a case-control study of cancer among current and former Semiconductor employees; an assessment of exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke in the home and working environment; and pesticide biomonitoring in residents living near agricultural land.
- Section Head - Workplace Exposure Science
- Office: +44 (0) 131 449 8034
- Mobile: +44 (0) 7818 426 612
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD Environmental Medicine
- MSc Occupational Hygiene
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Health (First Class)
Committee and Society Memberships:
- Member of the Pesticide Incident Appraisal Panel
- Member of the British Occupational Hygiene Society
- Committee Member of the UK Indoor Environment Group
- Committee member of the UK & Ireland Exposure Science meetings
Actively involved and manage a wide variety of research projects, mainly focused on exposure assessment relating to health risks. Research interests include:
- Pesticide biomonitoring amongst residents living near agricultural land (www.pesticidebiomonitoring.org).
- Occupational exposure assessment including air monitoring, aerosol characterisation and historical hygiene assessment.
- Dermal exposure assessment techniques and consumer exposure to fuels and lubricants.
- Assessment of exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke in the home, working environment and other micro-environments.
- Urban and residential exposure to air pollutants