Dr Karen Galea
Karen is Head of the Exposure Science Section of our Research Division. She is actively involved in a wide variety of research projects, mainly focused on exposure assessment relating to health risks. Her work has included the characterisation of aerosols during offshore drilling operations and primary nickel production; a guide to safe handling and disposal of engineered nanoparticles; a case-control study of cancer among current and former Semiconductor employees; an assessment of exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke in the home and working environment; and pesticide biomonitoring in residents living near agricultural land.
- Section Head - Exposure Science
- Office: +44 (0) 131 449 8034
- Mobile: +44 (0) 7818 426 612
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD Environmental Medicine
- MSc Occupational Hygiene
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Health (First Class)
Committee and Society Memberships:
- Member of the Pesticide Incident Appraisal Panel
- Member of the British Occupational Hygiene Society
- Committee Member of the UK Indoor Environment Group
- Committee member of the UK & Ireland Exposure Science meetings
Actively involved and manage a wide variety of research projects, mainly focused on exposure assessment relating to health risks. Research interests include:
- Pesticide biomonitoring amongst residents living near agricultural land (www.pesticidebiomonitoring.org).
- Occupational exposure assessment including air monitoring, aerosol characterisation and historical hygiene assessment.
- Dermal exposure assessment techniques and consumer exposure to fuels and lubricants.
- Assessment of exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke in the home, working environment and other micro-environments.
- Urban and residential exposure to air pollutants
Karakitsios S, Asikainen A, Garden C, Semple S, De Brouwere K, Galea KS, Sanchez Jimenez A, Gotti A, Jantunen M, Sarigiannis D. (2015). Integrated exposure for risk assessment in indoor environments based on a review of concentration data on airborne chemical pollutants in domestic environments in Europe. Indoor and Built Environment; 24: 1110-1146.
Sams C, Jones K, Galea KS, MacCalman L, Cocker J, Teedon P, Cherrie JW, van Tongeren M. (2016). Development of a Biomarker for Penconazole: A human oral dosing study and a survey of UK residents’ exposure. Toxics; 13th May (epub).
Fishbain B, Lerner U, Castell N, Cole-Hunter T, Popoola O, Broday DM, Iñiguez TM, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Jovasevic-Stojanovic M, Topalovic D, Jones RL, Galea KS, Etzion Y, Kizel F, Golumbic YN, Baram-Tsabari A, Yacobi T, Drahler D, Robinson JA, Kocman D, Horvat M, Svecova V, Arpaci A, Bartonova A. An evaluation tool kit of air quality micro-sensing units. Science of the Total Environment; 24th September (epub ahead of print).
Galea KS, McCalman L, Cherrie, JW, van Tongeren M. (2017). Biological monitoring of pesticides exposure in residents living near agricultural land. Outlooks on Pest Management; 52-54.
Connolly A, Jones K, Galea KS, Basinas I, Kenny L, McGowan P, Coggins M. Exposure assessment using human biomonitoring for lyphosate and fluroxypyr users in amenity horticulture. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 220:1064-1073.