Prof John Cherrie
Senior Occupational Hygienist and Principal Scientist
Professor John Cherrie is Principal Scientist in the Research Division at IOM, as well as Professor of Human Health at Heriot Watt University. John has a BSc (Hons) in Physics and a PhD in Occupational Hygiene. He also holds the Diploma of Operational Competence in Occupational Hygiene (Dip Occ Hyg) from the Faculty of Occupational Hygienists within the British Occupational Hygiene Society and is an Honorary Professor at the University of Aberdeen. He has worked as an occupational hygienist for more than 30 years.
When a lecturer at Aberdeen University John organised and taught a Master of Science degree course in Occupational Hygiene (from 1991 to 2001).
John has undertaken a wide range of occupational hygiene and epidemiological studies including:
- Workers exposed to tetrafluoroethylene.
- Collaborations with the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) on various epidemiological studies.
- The development of regulatory risk assessments for industrial chemicals by adapting deterministic models for inhalation exposure (ART).
- A research programme funded by the Health and Safety Executive to provide estimates of the number of people in Britain that annually die from occupational cancer.
- A study of risk factors for dermatitis amongst engineering workers exposed to soluble cutting oils.
- Environmental exposure to asbestos and determination of future cancer risks for local communities living near to asbestos contamination and workers who may have encountered asbestos.
Among his many professional achievements John was President of the British Occupational Hygiene Society 2007/08 and is currently a member of the Editorial Board for the Annals of Occupational Hygiene.
John regularly undertakes consultancy work, either for industry, medico-legal cases or to assist other organisations. John continues to be a member of several Governmental Advisory Committees
John has to date published 116 peer-reviewed scientific articles and over 120 book chapters, letters, reviews and other scientific publications.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
Occupational asthma, occupational cancer, human exposure assessment, environmental and occupational epidemiology, natural and synthetic fibres, dermal exposure and air pollution asbestos diseases including asbestosis, mesothelioma and lung cancer.
- Senior Occupational Hygienist and Principal Scientist
- Office: +44 (0) 131 449 8032
- Mobile: +44 (0) 7796 261 688
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail Address: IOM, Research Avenue North, Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AP