Dr Miranda Loh
Miranda is a Senior Scientist working in the Centre for Human Exposure Science of the Research Division at the Institute of Occupational Medicine. She is an exposure scientist who tries to understand how people interact with their environment, and how this affects their exposure to both negative and positive aspects of the environment. She is particularly interested in using sensors to evaluate both personal activities, which may affect their exposures to environmental factors, and environmental factors themselves. She has been involved in evaluating air pollution and physical activity sensors and is using a multi-stressor indoor and personal exposure assessment system, based on sensor technology, that can be used in exposome studies as part of the Health and Environment-wide Associations based on Large Population Surveys (HEALS) study, funded by the European Union. Her work on environmental health extends also to Asia, as the Principal Investigator for the Air Pollution Impacts on Cardiopulmonary disease in Beijing: An integrated study of Exposure Science, Toxicogenomics & Environmental Epidemiology (APIC-ESTEE) funded by the British Natural Environment Research Council, the Medical Research Council, and China’s National Natural Science Foundation. She is also involved in air pollution exposure and health projects in India and Thailand. Past projects include assessment of metals exposures of children living near a hazardous waste site in a former mining community and measurement and modelling of exposures and risk to volatile organic compounds
Senior Exposure and Environmental Scientist
Office: +44 (0) 131 449 8052
Mobile: +44 (0) 7818 426 602
- ScD Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health
- MS Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health
- BA Human Biology, Stanford University
Committee and Society Memberships:
- International Society of Exposure Science
- International Society of Environmental Epidemiology
- Society for Risk Analysis
- Exposure Science
- Loh, M.M., Levy, J.I., Spengler, J.D., Houseman, E.A., Bennett, D.H., 2007. Ranking cancer risks of organic hazardous air pollutants in the United States. Environmental Health Perspectives. 115(8): 1160-1168. PMID: 17687442
- Loh, M.M., Sugeng, A., Lothrop, N., Klimecki, W., Cox, M., Wilkinson, S.T., Lu, Z. and Beamer, P.I., 2016. Multimedia exposures to arsenic and lead for children near an inactive mine tailings and smelter site. Environmental Research, 146, pp.331-339.
- Loh, M., Sarigiannis, D., Gotti, A., Karakitsios, S., Pronk, A., Kuijpers, E., Annesi-Maesano, I., Baiz, N., Madureira, J., Oliveira Fernandes, E., Jerrett, M., Cherrie, J.W. 2017. How Sensors Might Help Define the External Exposome. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14(4), p. 434.