Information About the RIDDOR Scheme

The following summary of RIDDOR information is based upon the official RIDDOR Web site, ,where more detailed information and guidance is available to you.

  1. What is RIDDOR '95?
  2. Why should I report?
  3. Do the Regulations affect me?
  4. When do I need to act?
  5. Who do I report to?
  6. Further information sources for RIDDOR '95

What is RIDDOR '95?

RIDDOR '95 means the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995, which came into force on 1 April 1996.

RIDDOR '95 requires the reporting of work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences. It applies to all work activities, but not to all incidents.

Why should I report?

Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. The information enables the enforcing authorities to identify where and how risks arise and to investigate serious accidents. The enforcing authorities can then help and advise you on preventive action to reduce injury, ill health and accidental loss - much of which is uninsurable.

Do the Regulations affect me?

If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of work premises you will have duties under the Regulations.

What do I need to do?

Not very much - For most businesses a reportable accident, dangerous occurrence or case of disease is a comparatively rare event.

When do I need to act?

You need to report:

Who do I report to?

All accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences may be reported to the Incident Contact Centre. The Contact Centre was established on 1st April 2001 as a single point of contact for receiving all incidents in the UK

You can report incidents by any of the following routes:

Further information on RIDDOR '95 can be obtained from:

A Guide to the reporting of Injuries, Diseases, and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995. (L73) ISBN 0-7176-1012-8.

Available from:

HSE Books,
PO Box 1999,
Suffolk CO10 6FS
Tel: 01787 881165 Fax: 01787 313995

Telephone enquiries to HSE Infoline - telephone 0870 1545500
Email enquiries to HSE Information Centre: