Prof Sotiris Vardoulakis
Sotiris is Director of Research at the Institute of Occupational Medicine. A physicist with a background in exposure science, he has over 20 years’ experience in air pollution, climate change and environmental health research, policy and practice. Previously he was Head of the Environmental Change Department, and Leader of the Air Pollution and Climate Change Group at Public Health England. He also held positions at the Australian National University, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, Birmingham University, University of Aveiro (Portugal), Lewes District Council (UK), and INERIS institute (France). He served as Topic Expert Member of the NICE Public Health Advisory Committee on Outdoor Air Pollution. He was the Health Sector Champion and one of the main authors of the first national UK Climate Change Risks Assessment (CCRA), and contributing author to the 2nd CCRA and National Adaptation Programme. He has advised the UK Government, the World Health Organisation, the European Parliament, and other national and international bodies on the health effects of air pollution and climate change, and on environmental policy and sustainable development. His research interests include air pollution, climate change, urban health, exposure science, health impact assessment, environmental and occupational epidemiology, sustainable development, public health, and risk communication. He is Honorary Professor at the European Centre for Environment & Human Health at Exeter University Medical School. He also holds honorary academic appointments with the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and the University of Birmingham.
- Research Director
- Office: +44 (0) 131 449 8020
- Mobile: +44 (0) 7712675829
- Email: email@example.com
- BSc in Physics, University of Athens (Greece)
- MSc in Environmental Technology, Imperial College London (UK)
- PhD in Air Pollution, University of Greenwich (UK) and INERIS Institute (France)
Committee and Society Memberships:
- Co-Chair of the Healthy-PolisInternational Consortium for Urban Environmental Health & Sustainability
- Member of the NICEPublic Health Advisory Committee on Outdoor Air Quality
- Fellow of the Institution of Environmental Sciences
- Fellow of the Institute of Air Quality Management
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the International Society of Urban Health
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the International Conference on Urban Health ICUH 2017
- Guest Editor of the special issue “Urban Climate, Air Pollution, and Public Health” in Climate(2017).
- Guest Editor of the special issue “Challenges and Opportunities for Urban Environmental Health and Sustainability” in Environmental Health(2016).