Prof John Cherrie
John is Principal Scientist within Research Division and Professor of Human Health at Heriot Watt University. He is a former President of the British Occupational Hygiene Society. His research interests include human exposure assessment, environmental and occupational epidemiology, natural and synthetic fibres – including asbestos, dermal exposure to chemicals and dermatitis, and particulate air pollution. He also prepares medico-legal reports in relation to dust and chemical exposures, particularly to do with workplace cancer risks and occupationally-related neurodegenerative disease.
- Principal Scientist
- Office: +44 (0) 131 449 8032
- Mobile: +44 (0) 7796 261 688
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Committee and Society Memberships:
- Workplace Health Expert Committee – HSE
- Committee on Fibre Measurement - HSE
- British Occupational Hygiene Society
- International Society for Exposure Science
- Member of the Editorial Board for the Annals of Workplace Exposures and Health
- Member of the Editorial Board for the Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health
- Member of the Editorial Board for Particle and Fibre Toxicology
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Open access International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
John Cherrie is a Principal Scientist at the Institute of Occupational Medicine, and Professor of Human Health in the School of Life Sciences at Heriot-Watt University. He has a wide range of research interests, which include:-
- Exposure science and the exposome
- Occupational and environmental epidemiology
- Health impact assessment
- Occupational carcinogens
- Exposure modelling
- Dermal exposure to chemicals
- Occupational causes of neurodegenerative disease
- Air pollution
John has recently been involved in health impact studies on occupational cancer for the HSE and EU.
A list of his publications can be found at: https://researchportal.hw.ac.uk/en/persons/john-cherrie/publications/
Galea KS, McCalman L, Cherrie, JW, van Tongeren M. (2017). Biological monitoring of pesticides exposure in residents living near agricultural land. Outlooks on Pest Management; 52-54.
Cherrie JW. (2017). Kaizen. Annals of Work Exposures and Health; 61: 398-400
Cherrie JW, Hutchings S, Gorman Ng M, Mistry R, Corden C, Lamb J, Sánchez Jiménez A, Shafrir A, Sobey M, van Tongeren M, Rushton L.(2017). Prioritising action on occupational carcinogens in Europe: a socioeconomic and health impact assessment. British Journal of Cancer; 13th June (epub ahead of print).
Cherrie JW, Hutchings S, Gorman Ng M, Mistry R, Corden C, Lamb J, Sánchez Jiménez A, Shafrir A, Sobey M, van Tongeren M, Rushton L.(2017). Prioritising action on occupational carcinogens in Europe: a socioeconomic and health impact assessment. British Journal of Cancer. 13th June (epub ahead of print).
Gosse Y et al, IARC Monograph Working Group Members [including JW Cherrie]. Some chemicals that cause tumours of the urinary tract in rodents. Lancet Oncology. 27th June (epub ahead of print).