Dr Sean Semple
Sean is a Senior Lecturer within the Respiratory Group at the University of Aberdeenwhere he has worked for the past 15 years. Sean also holds an honorary seniorscientist position at the Institute of Occupational Medicine where he spendspart of his working week. His interests are in occupational hygiene, exposureassessment and tobacco control. He has published over 90 scientific papers andin the past 5 years he has been a principal or co-applicant on 15 grants valuedat over £2M. He currently has 5 PhD students looking at projects ranging frompesticide exposure in Malaysia to second-hand smoke exposure in homes and cars.He is an external examiner to various undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Universities across the world and is an assistant editor to two scientific journals.
- Honorary Senior Scientist
- Office: +44 (0) 131 449 8047
- Email: email@example.com
- BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences, University of St Andrews
- MSc Biological NMR, University of Dundee
- MSc Occupational Hygiene, University of Aberdeen
- PhD Environmental and Occupational Medicine, University of Aberdeen
Committee and Society Memberships:
- Assistant Editor of the Annals of Occupational Hygiene.
- University of Aberdeen College of Life Sciences & Medicine Ethics Review Board.
- Member of the University of Aberdeen Senatus Academicus.
- Regular peer reviewer for over 20 Occupational Hygiene and Public Health scientific journals and grant awarding bodies.
- Committee member of the UK Indoor Environments Group (www.ukieg.org)
- Member of the Scientific Committee of Inhaled Particles XI and OEESC 2013.
- BOHS Representative on the advisory committee to the University of Manchester’s Health and Occupational Reporting network (THOR) for occupational skin diseases (EPIDERM).
- Editorial board of International Journal of Occupational & Environmental Medicine.
- External examiner for University of Strathclyde.
- British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS) Technical Co-ordinating Group member.
- Director of the Scottish Centre for Indoor Air.
- Associate of University of Aberdeen, Centre for Sustainable International Development.
- Tobacco Control
- Exposure Assessment
- Occupational Hygiene
- Indoor Air Quality
- Public Health interventions
Semple, S., Sweeting, H., Demou, E., Logan, G., O'Donnell, R., Hunt, K. & Tobacco in Prisons (TIPs) research team (2017). 'Characterising the Exposure of Prison Staff to Second-Hand Tobacco Smoke'. Annals of Work Exposures and Health, vol 61, no. 7, pp. 809-821.
Quansah, R., Semple, S., Ochieng, CA., Juvekar, S., Armah, FA., Luginaah, I. & Emina, J. (2017). 'Effectiveness of interventions to reduce household air pollution and/or improve health in homes using solid fuel in low-and-middle income countries: A systematic review and meta-analysis'. Environment International, vol 103, pp. 73-90.
Dobson, R., O'Donnell, R., De Bruin, M., Turner, S. & Semple, S. (2017). 'Using air quality monitoring to reduce second-hand smoke exposure in homes: the AFRESH feasibility study'. Tobacco Prevention & Cessation, vol 3, 117, pp. 1-5.
Gaihre, S., Kyle, J., Semple, S., Smith, J., Subedi, M. & Marais, D. (2016). 'Type and extent of trans-disciplinary co-operation to improve food security, health and household environment in low and middle income countries: systematic review'. BMC Public Health, vol 16, 1093.
Morgan, H., Treasure, E., Tabib, M., Johnston, M., Dunkley, C., Ritchie, D., Semple, S. & Turner, SW. (2016). 'An interview study of pregnant women who were provided with indoor air quality measurements of second hand smoke to help them quit smoking'. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, vol 16, 305.