Competitive based on skills and experience
Homebased or Edinburgh, EH14
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Exposure Scientist to join our research team based in Edinburgh however this role can be homebased from anywhere in the UK! Joining us on a full time, permanent basis you will receive a competitive salary plus benefits!
IOM really are an International leader in their field and have worked on life-changing research for 50 years. This is an amazing and rare opportunity to join us and be part of a Not for Profit Organisation (NFP), who look after their staff and are leaders in research & consultancy within the field of occupational and environmental health risks.
As our Senior Exposure Scientist, you will receive the following fantastic benefits:
- 34 days annual leave including public holidays
- Flexible working
- NFP organisation
- Group personal pension
- Income Protection
- Death in Service
- Access to flexible benefits & rewards platform
- Employee Assistance Programme including wellbeing hub and access to a 24hr helpline and counselling service
- On-site parking if based in our Edinburgh HQ
- A chance to work for an organisation whose aim is to make people’s lives, and the environment in which we live, better
About our Senior Exposure Scientist role:
We are seeking to appoint an experienced Senior Scientist to join the Research Group who can strengthen and build upon IOMs world-renowned experience in human exposure assessment, focussed primarily in the working environment. You will have the opportunity to apply and develop your skills to advance our research and consultancy projects in this arena. Most of our research projects are interdisciplinary and we collaborate with colleagues in the UK, Europe and elsewhere. Training will be provided, and candidates should be prepared to travel, both within the UK and overseas, (COVID -19 restrictions permitting).
IOM scientists are involved in a wide range of research and consultancy projects focussed on occupational settings, including a variety of studies and methods.
Responsibilities as our Senior Exposure Scientist:
- Lead role in developing and advancing IOM’s human exposure assessment in occupational settings and wider capabilities
- Identify, lead and contribute to proposal development for a range of research and consultancy clients, primarily focussed on occupational exposure assessment to chemicals, aerosols, nanomaterials etc
- Leadership of research and consultancy projects relevant to area of expertise
- Provide expert knowledge that can be applied to occupational epidemiology studies, including study designs, and job exposure matrices
- Provide expert knowledge to the design and implementation of intervention studies
- Provide expert knowledge on REACH, occupational safety and health legislation
- Supporting / advisory role in IOM’s other research and commercial projects
- Develop and advance, with others, IOM’s research and consultancy initiatives
- Provision of training and mentoring existing for IOM personnel to improve internal capabilities
- Maintain and develop connections in the exposure assessment community to develop future research and commercial opportunities
What we’re looking for in our Senior Exposure Scientist:
- PhD or other postgraduate degree in a relevant exposure assessment science
- Significant experience relevant to human exposure science, e.g. Chemical exposure/risk assessment
- Chartered Scientist status from a relevant professional body or professional qualification in occupational hygiene would be advantageous
- Significant experience in occupational exposure assessment, chemical and nanomaterial risk assessment in wide range of working environment
- Experience of working collaboratively on large-scale funded project
- Significant experience in human occupational exposure modelling e.g. development, validation and use
- Ability to organise the activities of others, regardless of seniority
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem solving capacity
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to relate well to all kinds of people
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join an NFP organisation who are at the forefront of research and whose main purpose is to improve people’s health and safety at work, at home and in the environment through excellent independent science.
If you would like to be considered as our Senior Exposure Scientist, please click “apply now”! We look forward to hearing from you. Please note that this will redirect you to our partner application site however all applications are reviewed and managed by the IOM recruitment team.
The Institute of Occupational Medicine is an equal opportunity and living wage employer.