Competitive based on skills and experience
Homebased or Edinburgh, EH14
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Aerosol Scientist to join our team based in Edinburgh however this role can be homebased from anywhere in the UK! Joining us on a full time, permanent basis you will receive a competitive salary plus benefits!
IOM really are an International leader in their field and have worked on life-changing research for 50 years. This is an amazing and rare opportunity to join us and be part of a Not for Profit Organisation (NFP), who look after their staff and are leaders in research & consultancy within the field of occupational and environmental health risks.
As our Senior Aerosol Scientist, you will receive the following fantastic benefits:
- 34 days annual leave including public holidays
- Flexible working
- NFP organisation
- Group personal pension
- Income Protection
- Death in Service
- Access to flexible benefits & rewards platform
- Employee Assistance Programme including wellbeing hub and access to a 24hr helpline and counselling service
- On-site parking if based in our Edinburgh HQ
- A chance to work for an organisation whose aim is to make people’s lives, and the environment in which we live, better
About our Senior Aerosol Scientist role:
We are seeking to appoint a Senior Exposure Scientist in our Research Group. The post holder will work on existing commercial and research projects undertaken by the Research Group and the wider IOM and contribute to developing new proposals for future work. This post provides an exciting opportunity for a senior scientist with career interests in exposure science, chemical and particle safety, and risk assessment.
Responsibilities as our Senior Aerosol Scientist:
- Leading and supporting role in existing commercial and research projects
- A working knowledge of risk assessments tools and methods to critically assess safety, ideally with nanomaterials
- Experience of workplace exposure monitoring, risk assessment and reporting of recommendations and findings
- Developing and maintaining the SAFENANO brand and the Research Groups occupational exposure field, laboratory and consultancy services
- Training and mentoring existing staff to improve and develop recognised service capabilities
- Experience in identifying, winning and leading research opportunities ideally in nano-safety
- Leading proposal development or in collaboration with senior scientists for a range of research and consultancy clients
- Lead in identifying the requirements for IOM to up to date and current with regards to Nanomaterial safety
- Maintaining and developing connection to the nanomaterials exposure and safety community to develop commercial and research opportunities
- Delivering laboratory-based particle characterisation in support of client needs
What we’re looking for in our Senior Aerosol Scientist:
- Degree in a relevant physical science with PhD or other postgraduate degree and significant experience in a role relevant to this post
- Chartered Scientist status from a relevant professional body or professional qualification in occupational hygiene would be advantageous
- Significant experience in occupational exposure assessment, chemical and nanomaterial risk assessment
- Experience of working collaboratively on large-scale funded projects
- Working knowledge of risk assessment exposure tools and methods
- Significant experience of Instrumental analysis for materials in a laboratory and field environment relevant to the monitoring and assessment of fibres, particles and aerosols in a workplace setting
- Ability to organise the activities of others, regardless of seniority
- Strong time management with ability to prioritise and organise own workload and those of others
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem solving capacity
- Excellent interpersonal skills
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join an NFP organisation who are at the forefront of research and whose main purpose is to improve people’s health and safety at work, at home and in the environment through excellent independent science.
If you would like to be considered as our Senior Aerosol Scientist, please click “apply now”! We look forward to hearing from you. Please note that this will redirect you to our partner application site however all applications are reviewed and managed by the IOM recruitment team.
The Institute of Occupational Medicine is an equal opportunity and living wage employer.