Starting salary circa £17.5-20k per annum pro rata (£9.3k - £10.6k) dependent on experience
The IOM is an internationally recognised centre for research, consultancy and training in the fields of occupational and environmental health and hygiene.
We are looking for an experienced lab analyst to join our chemistry team. Our contract lab is primarily set up to undertake the analysis of occupational hygiene samples, this includes VOCs in air using gas chromatography (GC) and the use of high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) for the analysis of substance such as isocyanates, hydrazine, formaldehyde and a wide range of pharmaceutical actives.
We also provide analysis of metals by ICP-OES in samples of workplace and ambient air, soil, paint, water and other bulk materials. We use ion chromatography to analyse for common acid anions as well as gases such as nitrogen dioxide and ozone.
Following training, the expected duties of the post holder will be to:
Undertake and report routine HPLC and GC analysis of occupational hygiene samples entailing:
· Following standard methods for the requested analyte(s) including selection of reagents and instrument conditions
· Working to our in-house quality systems and health and safety requirements
· Preparation of calibration standards and samples for analysis
· Calculating results and preparing reports to a standard format
· Undertake method development and validation for additional analytes using GC and/or HPLC as required
· Undertake related tasks such as pipette calibration, participation in proficiency testing schemes, collation and review of QC data
· Provide support as required to other areas of work within the laboratory.
The successful candidate will have the equivalent of at least one years’ experience of undertaking and reporting analysis using GC or HPLC and will preferably have experience of working in an UKAS (ISO 17025) /GLP/GMP accredited commercial laboratory.
The successful applicant will be based in our Edinburgh laboratory and report to the Chemistry Section Manager.
This is a part time temporary role with the potential to become permanent and / or full time in the future.
Institute of Occupational Medicine
The Institute of Occupational Medicine (IOM) is a major independent centre of scientific excellence in the fields of occupational and environmental health, hygiene and safety.
Our core purpose is to improve people’s health and safety at work, at home and in the environment through excellent independent science to create a healthy and sustainable world.
IOM is a not for profit organisation.
Our aims are:
For further information regarding our services, consultancy and research visit www.iom-world.org
IOM is an equal opportunity and living wage employer.
If you would like to contact us, please use the attached form and we will get back to you. Alternatively, call or write to us at our Head Office in Edinburgh or one of our regional offices.
Our office hours are:
Monday to Friday - 8.00am to 5.15pm
Our head office numbers is +44 (0)131 449 8000