Competitive based on skills and experience
We have an exciting opportunity for an Exposure Scientist to join our team based in Edinburgh. Joining us on a full time, permanent basis you will receive a competitive salary plus benefits!
IOM really are an International leader in their field and have worked on life-changing research for 50 years. This is an amazing and rare opportunity to join us and be part of a Not for Profit Organisation (NFP), who look after their staff and are leaders in research & consultancy within the field of occupational and environmental health risks.
As our Exposure Scientist, you will receive the following fantastic benefits:
- 34 days annual leave including public holidays
- Flexible working
- NFP organisation
- Group personal pension
- Income Protection
- Death in Service
- Access to flexible benefits & rewards platform
- Employee Assistance Programme including wellbeing hub and access to a 24hr helpline and counselling service
- On-site parking
- A chance to work for an organisation whose aim is to make people’s lives, and the environment in which we live, better
About our Exposure Scientist role:
This post provides an exciting opportunity for a scientist with postgraduate experience in occupational exposure assessment to work within the Research Group at the IOM Edinburgh office. IOM exposure scientists are involved in a wide range of research and consultancy projects, including a variety of studies and methods.
Responsibilities as our Exposure Scientist:
- Support in the design and execution of exposure assessment studies
- Conduct instrumental measurement surveys (either as part of a team or independently), to identify and evaluate potential exposures to hazards, using state-of-the-art real-time instruments, low costs sensors and traditional more traditional sampling devices
- Conduct relevant laboratory based experiments to inform human exposure in workplace settings
- Application of exposure models to estimate human exposure
- Analysis and interpretation of measurement data and the contextual observations gathered during site-visits / laboratory investigations
- Support CLP and REACH assessments for chemicals
- Support the reporting and preparing MSDS of chemicals for clients- Write research and consultancy reports and contributing to articles for peer-reviewed publication
- Contribute to the development of proposals in the pursuit of research and consultancy opportunities
- Contribute to the implementation of the IOM Research Group strategy
- Various administrative and ad hoc duties.
What we’re looking for in our Exposure Scientist:
- BSc (2.1or higher) in chemistry, physics, engineering or biological sciences
- Post-graduate degree in exposure science (desirable)
- Ideally two years practical measurement experience, within a research or industrial environment
- Previous experience in quantitative research
- Excellent IT skills, e.g. word, excel, access
- Experience in undertaking literature reviews
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem solving capacity
- Excellent organisational and written skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Willingness and flexibility to travel when required
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join an NFP organisation who are at the forefront of research and whose main purpose is to improve people’s health and safety at work, at home and in the environment through excellent independent science.
If you would like to be considered as our Exposure Scientist, please click “apply now”! We look forward to hearing from you. Please note that this will redirect you to our partner application site however all applications are reviewed and managed by the IOM recruitment team.
The Institute of Occupational Medicine is an equal opportunity and living wage employer.