Competitive based on skills and experience
We have an exciting opportunity for a Database Analyst & Programmer to join our multi-disciplinary research team based in Edinburgh. Joining us on a full time basis, you will receive a competitive salary plus benefits! Initially this role will be on a 12 month fixed term contract, however there is scope to extend and become permanent in the future.
IOM really are an International leader in their field and have worked on life-changing research for 50 years. This is an amazing and rare opportunity to join us and be part of a Not for Profit Organisation (NFP), who look after their staff and are leaders in research & consultancy within the field of occupational and environmental health risks.
As our Database Analyst & Programmer, you will receive the following fantastic benefits:
- 34 days annual leave including public holidays
- Flexible working
- NFP organisation
- Group personal pension
- Income Protection
- Death in Service
- Access to flexible benefits & rewards platform
- Employee Assistance Programme including wellbeing hub and access to a 24hr helpline and counselling service
- On-site parking
- A chance to work for an organisation whose aim is to make people’s lives, and the environment in which we live, better
About our Database Analyst & Programmer role:
Working primarily as a database analyst and programmer as part of our Data Science team mainly working initially on several Horizon 2020 (H2020) Nano technology research projects. The work varies widely in nature and scale: from simple data capture, processing analysis, and quality assurance, through to database storage and administration; attending meetings, liaising with a variety of scientific data providers to logging, storing, managing and reporting on the data curation aspects.
Responsibilities as our Database Analyst & Programmer:
- Project work on general data capture, processing, and management, using a variety of packages, programming and development techniques
- Database design& implementation, administration and maintenance (mainly Access, SQL Server, MySQL)
- Analysis, design and development of existing and new systems and applications
- Programming and scripting
- Integration of solutions with Office and other applications (e.g. Word/Excel etc.)
- General website creation and maintenance
- Writing and reporting for project reports, and documentation procedures
- Help, guidance, and documentation, for users
What we’re looking for in our Database Analyst & Programmer:
- Good degree in Computer Science or related ICT discipline
- Post-graduate qualification in computing or equivalent experience post-graduating (desirable)
- General proven background in data management and database systems
- Data analysis and manipulation
- Experience in adapting and developing existing solutions to unique requirements (e.g. MS Office integrations)
- Demonstrable skills in programming and scripting using languages/environments (e.g. Visual Studio, C#, Asp.Net, VB.NET, PHP, Python; and SQL)
- Knowledge of data curation and use in the research environment
- Good documentation, presentation and report writing ability
- Accuracy and attention to detail with proven analytical and problem solving capacity
- Highly motivated with ability to prioritise and work to deadlines
- Ability to liaise well with people at all levels
- Can work well under pressure
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join an NFP organisation who are at the forefront of research and whose main purpose is to improve people’s health and safety at work, at home and in the environment through excellent independent science.
If you would like to be considered as our Database Analyst & Programmer, please click “apply now”! We look forward to hearing from you. Please note that this will redirect you to our partner application site however all applications are reviewed and managed by the IOM recruitment team.
The Institute of Occupational Medicine is an equal opportunity and living wage employer.